4. Chief Registrar
(1) The State Government may, by notification in the Official Gazette, appoint a Chief Registrar for the State.
(2) The State Government may also appoint such other officers with such designations as it thinks fit for the purpose of discharging, under the superintendence and direction of the Chief Registrar, such of his functions as he may, from time to time, authorize them to discharge.
(3) The Chief Registrar shall be the chief executive authority in the State for carrying into execution the provisions of this Act and the rules and orders made there under subject to the directions, if any, given by the State Government.
(4) The Chief Registrar shall take steps, by the issue of suitable instructions or otherwise, to co-ordinate, unify and supervise the work of registration in the State for securing an efficient system of registration and shall prepare and submit to the State Government, in such manner and at such intervals as may be prescribed, a report on the working of this Act in the State along with the statistical report referred to in sub-section (2) of section 19.
05[(5) The Chief Registrar shall take steps to register births or deaths and maintain a unified database of registered births and deaths at the State level by using the portal as approved by the Registrar General of India and it shall be obligatory upon the Registrars to share the data of registered births and deaths to such database.]
(6) Subject to the proviso to sub-section (1) of section 17 and with the prior approval of the State Government, the database of registered births and deaths maintained under sub-section (5) at the State level may, on request, be made available to the authority dealing with other databases at the State level and the authority shall inform action taken, within such period as may be notified from time to time, to the State Government:
Provided that the preparation or maintenance of database relating to electoral rolls shall be without prejudice to the provisions of the Representation of the People Act, 1950.]
05. Sub section (5) & (6) inserted by Act 20 of 2023 w.e.f. 01.10.2023